About This Tutorial
This tutorial will introduce GraphQL to the participants, and walk them through rebuilding the poll app as a GraphQL api.
What is GraphQL? (10 Minutes)
- What does GraphQL stand for?
- Where it came from?
Why would you consider using it? (5 Minutes)
- What problems does GraqhQL solve.
GraphQL concepts (Schemas, Fields, Queries, Mutations) (10 Minutes)
Go over some of the theory behind the GraphQL concepts
Graphene (the go-to Python GraphQL framework) (5 Minutes)
- Overview of the graphene framework
Setting up a project with django-graphene (30 Minutes)
- Introduce the sample application (Polls) we shall be building
- Setup a simple django project and walkthrough how to get django-graphene setup
- Setup the models for the sample application (Polls)
Building your schema (10 Minutes)
- Add a simple schema to the project and view it using the GraphiQL tool
Adding queries to your GraphQL api (10 Minutes)
- Add the relevant queries to the schema for our sample application
Test your API with GraphiQL (10 Minutes)
- Introduction to the GraphiQL tool and how to use it to view your data
Changing data through mutations (10 Minutes)
- Add a mutation to the schema
Writing unit tests for your GraphQL api (20 Minutes)
- Write tests for the queries in the API
- Write test for the mutations in the API
- Go over some patterns to make it easier to write these kinds of tests
Handling authorization in your GraphQL API (10 Minutes)
- Securing data based on the logged in user
I love python, really enjoy working in Django. I am a Senior Developer at Thoughtworks and have spent a few years helping clients build awesome web and mobile applications.